What is a Birth Doula?
A birth doula is a trained professional who provides physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during, and just after childbirth to help her have a positive birth experience. Regardless of the type of birth you are planning – medicated, unmedicated, surgical, vaginal birth after cesarean, waterbirth, hospital, home, or birth center – a doula is a valuable part of your birth team.
Research shows that women who use a birth doula are:
- less likely to need Pitocin
- less likely to have a cesarean birth
- less likely to request an epidural or use any pain medication
- more likely to rate their childbirth experience positively
Services & Fees
As my client, you receive:
- 1-2 prenatal visits where we will discuss your preferences for your birth, comfort measures, any fears/concerns you have about birth, and how your partner and I can support you. These meetings are meant to help us get to know each other, so you feel comfortable with me during labor.
- 1 alignment & restorative exercise session to help you reduce the common discomforts of pregnancy, prepare your pelvic floor for birth, and recover better afterwards. I will also give you tips on how to stand, sit, walk, and move through life to improve pelvic alignment. I include one alignment and restorative exercise session as part of my doula services because I believe it’s one of the best things you can do to prepare your body for birth. You can read more about the benefits of restorative exercise here .
- Discounts on additional alignment/exercise sessions purchased during pregnancy and up to 6 months postpartum.
- Homework assignments to help you create your birth preferences sheet and to help you prepare mentally for birth. You will also receive exercise/alignment homework to prepare physically.
- Phone and email support throughout your pregnancy. Call, text, or email if you have any questions.
- 24-hour on-call support starting at 38 weeks and continuing until your birth. This includes phone support during early labor, before I join you in person.
- Continuous labor support starting in active labor and continuing until 1-2 hours after your birth.
- Breastfeeding support immediately after birth. Breastfeeding can be challenging, and I will refer you to skilled lactation consultants if you need further assistance.
- One postpartum visit (usually a week or two after your birth) to talk about your birth, resources needed, and any follow-up questions. If you have any pelvic floor issues or diastasis recti, we can schedule a postpartum alignment/restorative exercise session to address those.
- Other resources and referrals as needed. We have a great birth and women’s health network in Nashville. I can help you find chiropractors, breastfeeding support, physical therapy, counseling, etc.
Fee for doula services: $550
A $200 deposit is required at the time you hire me. The remainder is due at 37 weeks.
The first step is scheduling your complimentary consultation today. I’d love to chat with you and your partner and see if I would be a good fit for you!